India never ceases to celebrate. From the first harvest of the season to the homecoming of the saviour to the destruction of the evil, Indians celebrate even the smallest routine making it big with camaraderie and fanfare. October is no exception ! This article on Fairs And Festivals Of India In October shares with you the most important of the fairs and festivals so that you may plan your travel in India accordingly.
With the plethora of art, cultural, and religious festivals in India lined up from the first week to the last, October is also a good time to visit India. In this month, the monsoons have almost receded and the winter is about to set in, making everything pink and pleasant.
Fairs And Festivals Of India In October
Here is a list of best festivals to enjoy in India in October 2016 –
- Navratri FestivalNavratri translates into Nine Nights of music, fun, and dancing in the honour of the Goddess Durga. The festival is celebrated throughout the country, but the Dandiya – Garba of Gujarat is the most spectacular celebration of Navratri. Men and women dance and pay their allegiance to the goddess, despite fasting throughout the nine days. Never before would you have noticed such high decibel energy and vibrancy! Plan your India tour in October 2016 to be a part of the enthralling Navratri celebrations.
When: 01 – 10 October 2016.
Where: Gujarat and some parts of North India.
- Durga PujaNavratri has high significance throughout India. The 6th to 10th days of Navratri are celebrated as Durga Puja festival in West Bengal, and other parts of the country. The capital city of West Bengal Kolkata is shimmers in finery that reflects the divinity of the Goddess. Grand makeshift temples (Pandals) of the goddess are erected throughout the city and mouth-watering delicacies keep you happy and satiated. The grandeur of the festival is such that the city does not sleep at all during Durga Puja and prepares months in advance for the Goddess’ arrival.This has made us list it as one among the Fairs And Festivals Of India In October.
When: 07 – 10 October 2016
Where: West Bengal (Kolkata and other cities), and parts of Northern and Central India
- DussehraThe 10th day of Navratri marks the festival of Dussehra when Lord Ram slays the demon King Ravana and established the reign of righteousness on the earth. People burn huge effigies of King Ravanaalong with effigies of his brother and son. Spectacular firework shows are held to celebrate the victory of good over evil. Ravana burning is a huge event at RamlilaMaidan in Delhi.
In different parts of North India, Ramlila (The life of Rama) performances are held that conclude with the slaying of Ravana on Dussehra. Ramlila of Ramnagar is a 400-year old tradition that is followed till date with much extravaganza. The city of Varanasi along with its nearby places is turned into performance site for different phases of Ramayana. Three days after Dussehra, the ‘Bharat Milap’ (Meeting with Bharat) is held near the banks of river Ganga. This family
When – 11th October 2016 is Dussehra day.
Where – Delhi, Varanasi, and other parts of Northern India
- Mysore DussehraCelebrated in Mysore, Karnataka, Mysore Dussehra is a much-awaited festival in southern India that marks the victory of Goddess Chamundeshwari over the demon Mahishasur. Grand procession with decorated elephants and palanquins carrying the idol of the Goddess is carried through the city.
When: 11th – 17th October 2016
Where: Mysore, Karnataka
To book your Bangalore Mysore Ooty Tour Packages, you may visit the link http://www.waytoindia.com/bangalore-mysore-ooty-tour-package and send us an enquiry. We would plan your memorable trip to Bangalore Mysore & Ooty.
- MahaRaas-LeelaThe Krishna devotees wait the entire year to play Raas with their beloved deity. Celebrated on the full moon night of the Ashwani month, also known as the SharadPurnima, this festival is a symbol of celestial love between Gopis (maidens) and Krishna. People in Mathura, Vrindavan, and parts of Gujarat dance at night under the full moon light to express their undying love and devotion for the Lord.
When: 15th October 2016
Where: Mathura, Vrindavan, and Gujarat
- DiwaliThe king of festivals in India in the latter part of the year, Diwali is zealously celebrated throughout the country. The three-day festival marks the homecoming of Lord Ram with his brother Laxman and wife Sita to Ayodhya after 14 years of exile. The city markets and homes are lit 24×7 from a week in advance, and people light candles to illuminate their surroundings and ward off the evil. Diwali celebration is an experience and planning your India tour around this time of the year is a brilliant option.This is reason enough for us to list Diwali among the best Fairs And Festivals Of India In October.
When: 28th – 30th October 2016
Where: All parts of India
- Rajasthan International Folk FestivalWitness the rich cultural heritage of India’s folk artists underlined by international grandeur. The Rajasthan International Folk Festival 2016 at the majestic Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur is bound to charm your senses. The mystical surroundings of sand dunes and the musical stages within the enclosed walls of the fort give you a feel of a private concert. Experience a tryst with the ethereal music at RIFF October 2016. It is also the best time to visit Jodhpur. Plan your Jodhpur tours in sync with the Folk Festival and make the most of your Indian experience.
When: 13 – 17th October 2016
Where: Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur
- Samsara Himalaya Yoga FestivalThis is one of its kind rejuvenation festivals that celebrates the important of health and brings you in touch with your inner core. The festival conducted by AriaMarg Yoga combines the holistic Yoga with music to create a therapeutic experience that is beyond imagination. Special highlights are sound theory and professional vision healing. Come experience the part of the India that will stay with you for the rhythms of Samsara Himalaya Yoga Festival will reverberate through your being for a very long time.
When: 7th October – 17th October 2016.
Where: Himachal Pradesh
Let us guess, you are confused about which festivals to attend India in October 2016? Tell us what excited you the most and we will plan your travel itinerary in a way that gives you the best of India experience. From weeklong retreat in the Himalaya Yoga Festival to spending the Diwali with an Indian family to relishing the gastronomic delicacies that the country has to offer, we at Way To India offer customized India tour packages to people from all over the world. Come, be one with the civilization!