Planning an enthralling experience of Hemkund Sahib Yatra ? This comprehensive guide by WaytoIndia covers everything you need to know for a spiritual pilgrimage to Shri Hemkund Sahib.
Hemkund Sahib Yatra By Helicopter
About Hemkund Sahib Yatra
Hemkund Sahib is nestled at an astounding elevation of 15,200 feet above sea level and is the world’s highest Gurudwara sahib. It is set amid one of the most breathtaking landscapes of Himalayas, overlooking the marvellous Hemkund Lake. The glistening water of the lake reflects the beguiling sight of the Saptashringa Peaks, making the place even more beautiful.
Along the shore of the meandering lake stands the Hemkund Sahib, one among the most sacred Sikh shrines in the world. Nearby the Gurudwara is located the Lakshmana Temple, where it is believed that Laxman (brother of Lord Ram) had meditated in previous birth in the form of Sheshnag. Thus, the place holds historical & religious significance for both the Hindus and Sikhs.
Thousands of pilgrims from around the world embark on Hemkund Sahib Yatra every year to seek divine blessings of the Almighty and experience its captivating landscaped beauty.
Reaching Hemkund Sahib Ji is exceptionally tough as the shrine is located amid dodgy hilly terrains and snow-clad mountains.
Road connectivity is poor and one has to trek for 21 km from Govindghat. However, you can choose to take Hemkund Sahib Yatra by air.
Regular helicopter service is available from Govindghat to Ghangaria, a picturesque village near Hemkund Sahib. From Ghangaria, one can trek along 6 kilometre of stone-paved path to reach Hemkund. Ponies are also available on hire for a more comfortable Hemkund Sahib Yatra.
Waytoindia.com also operates some ultra luxury tours to Shri Hemkund Sahib. These tours are with helicopters from Dehradun, where you fly directly from Dehradun to Ghangaria. Since the helicopter tours are costly, other very comfortable option is to book seat in Ultra Luxury Isuzu buses(with washrooms) from Delhi to Hemkund Sahib.
History of Hemkund Sahib
Hemkund Sahib has a rich history which dates back to the era of Guru Gobind Singh, the last saint of the Sikh faith. It is at this place that Guru Gobind Singh Ji unified with the Almighty after his prolonged meditation during his previous birth. The Lakshmana Temple located near the Sikh shrine also holds mythological significance as it is believed that Lakshmana, a brother of Lord Rama, took sacrament.
Hemkund Sahib Yatra 2019 – A Complete Guide
Opening Date for Hemkund Sahib Yatra 2019
Hemkund Sahib opening date 2019 is May 25 2019. Nagar Kirtan from Govindghat to Govind Dham will be held on May 24 2019 and from Govind Dham to Hemkund Sahib on May 25 2019.
Closing Date for Hemkund Sahib Yatra 2019
Darshan at Hemkund Sahib will close from October 10, 2019 onwards.
Where is Hemkund Sahib
Gurudwara Hemkund Sahib is a world-famous pilgrimage site located in Chamoli district, Uttarakhand. The shrine is situated overlooking a picturesque glacial lake surrounded by seven mountain peaks (Saptashringa) of the Himalayas. Hemkund Sahib height is 4632 metres, i.e. 15,200 feet as per the Survey of India.
How to reach Shri Hemkund Sahib By Road
Owing to its massive elevation, rail or road transportation facility up to the Gurdwara sahib is not there. While nearest rail head is Haridwar, the road connectivity is up to Govindghat. Further from Govindghat, the only available options are:
- If the weather is conducive for helicopter flying, one may take a helicopter flight from Govindghat to Ghangaria.
- If helicopter is not operating, the only alternative then is trekking along the steep hilly pathways. Hemkund Sahib trek distance from Govindghat is 21 km.
How To Reach Shri Hemkund Sahib by Helicopter
The most convenient route you can take is from Delhi to Hemkund Sahib by air for which you need to make prior bookings with Waytoindia.com.
- Board a flight till Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi. Once you reach there, take a domestic flight to reach Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun. You can enjoy an overnight stay in the beautiful “Doon Valley.”
- Your Hemkund Sahib Yatra by helicopter begins from Dehradun’s Sahastradhara Helipad. It takes approximately 55 minutes to reach Ghangaria by air.
- Overnight stay shall be , at hotel or camp in Ghangaria, so that you can acclimatize with the high altitude weather.
- From Ghangaria, leave for Shri Hemkund Sahib by pony. If you have booked WaytoIndia’s Hemkund Sahib Yatra package, a dedicated porter will accompany you with your belongings, packed lunch, first-aid kit, portable oxygen cylinder and packaged drinking water. It takes approximately 3.5 hours to reach the famous Sikh shrine.
- Delhi to Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara distance is 548 km, it is a very long journey by road in which you would need to stop overnight. However, the distance and time curtails significantly if you reach Delhi to Hemkund Sahib by helicopter.
- If you are travelling from Chandigarh, you can board a flight till Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun or hire a private cab. From Dehradun, proceed for your onward Hemkund Sahib Yatra by helicopter. For this, write a mail to email@example.com .
- Devotees wondering how to reach Hemkund Sahib from Rishikesh can hire a private taxi to reach Dehradun, which is approximately 45.6 km. Then you can book Hemkund helicopter service from Dehradun. It is the shortest and easiest route to reach the famous Gurudwara.
- To avail return helicopter service in Hemkund Sahib, you have to ride back to Ghangaria Helipad and proceed for onward journey to your destination by air.
- Adventurous devotees can choose to embark on Hemkund Sahib trek from Ghangaria – a 3600 feet climb on a 6 km stone-paved steep hilly terrain.
The first glimpse of the mesmerising Gurudwara Hemkund Sahib Ji and its mystical aura is sure to rejuvenate your senses from the fatigue of the journey. Take a holy dip in the Hemkund Sarovar and then go for Guru Darshan inside the shrine.
Hemkund Sahib Weather
Month wise note On Hemkund Sahib Weather
Hemkund Sahib Temperature
(Month wise Minimum & Maximum Temperature)
January : January is a month when the entire area being high altitude area is covered under a thick blanket of snow.
Sunrise :07.09 am
Sunset : 05:21 pm.
There is almost no rainfall during this period while it frequently snows during this period.
In the month of January, Hemkund Sahib temperature is sub-zero with the minimum temperature going down to – 13˚ C and maximum temperature being around 1˚ C.
February : Much like January, in the month of February also, Hemkund Sahib is not accessible due to thick snow cover.
Sunrise: 07:03 am
Sunset : 05:48 pm
In the month of February also, Hemkund Sahib temperature is sub-zero with the minimum temperature dropping down to – 7˚C and maximum temperature being around 4˚C.
March : In March, the frequency of snowfall recedes.However, the entire area is still covered with snow and is not accessible.
Sunrise: 06:38 am
Sunset : 06:10 pm
Hemkund Sahib temperature in the month of March is low with the minimum temperature going down to – 6˚C and maximum temperature being around 4˚C.
April : In April, the weather starts becoming more hospitable.However, most of the area still being laden with snow, reaching Shri Hemkund Sahib is difficult.
Sunrise: 06:00 am
Sunset : 06:30 pm
In April, Hemkund Sahib temperature hovers between 13˚C during the day time and 0˚C during the night time.
May : With the onset of May, the snow recedes, the glaciers melt and the weather becomes much more hospitable.There are frequent spells of sunshine during the day.
Sunrise: 5:30 am
Sunset: 06:50 pm
Hemkund Sahib temperature during May remains fairly pleasant at about 15˚ C during day time.During night time the Hemkund Sahib Temperature goes down to about 4˚C.
June : June is the month when weather becomes very pleasant and Shri Hemkund Sahib Yatra starts and is in its full bloom.
During the later part of June, one can expect small but frequent showers also.
Sunrise: 5:10 am
Sunset: 07:10 pm
In the month of June, Hemkund Sahib temperature ranges around 15˚C during the day time and about 8˚C during the night.
July and August : July and August are marked by frequent and heavy rains due to which the Hemkund Sahib Yatra gets disrupted.
Sunrise: 5:15 am
Sunset: 07:20 pm
Hemkund Sahib Temperatures remain between 19˚C in day to 11˚C during Night during the month of July.During the month of August the temperatures remain between 16˚C and 10˚C during day and night respectively.
September : Quite like the month of August, for almost the first 3 weeks of September, it rains quite frequently.
Sunrise: 5:48 am
Sunset: 06:35 pm
In the month of September, Hemkund Sahib temperature starts going down to 13˚ during day and around 10˚ during night time.
October : October marks the onset of winter months.It is during October that the Hemkund Sahib Yatra comes to an end for a specific year.
Sunrise: 6:05 am
Sunset: 05:57 pm
In October, Hemkund Sahib temperature starts going down with the minimum temperature going down to 4˚C and maximum temperature being around 12˚C.
November : Month of November adds more chill to Hemkund Sahib Weather.
Sunrise: 6:05 am
Sunset: 05:57 pm
Hemkund Sahib temperatures are about 0˚C during night time and about 10˚C during the day time during the month of November .
December : The winters approach in full swing during December and one can expect snowfall above Govindghat as the treks close around this period.
Sunrise: 06:26 am
Sunset : 05:24 om
In the month of December, Hemkund Sahib temperatures plummet down to 8˚C during day and -4˚C during night time.
Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara Distance Chart
From & To
Delhi to Hemkund Sahib Distance
Delhi to Gobind Dham Distance
|Gobind Dham to Hemkund Sahib Distance|
Gobind Ghat to Ghangaria Distance
|Ghangaria to Hemkund Sahib Distance|
|Chandigarh to Hemkund Sahib Distance|
Rishikesh to Hemkund Sahib Distance
Please note that the distance provided in the chart is via roadways. Avail Deccan helicopter Hemkund Sahib service for the most thrilling experience, overlooking the stunning aerial view of Tehri Dam, Auli and the majestic snow-capped Himalayas. Hemkund Sahib helicopter service is available regularly from May to October and is the most convenient mode of transportation to reach the holy shrine.
Hemkund Sahib Yatra by Helicopter Price
Hemkund Sahib Yatra package is designed for devotees who wish to indulge into sheer spirituality and engrossing beauty of this holy place. Hemkund Sahib Yatra is one of the most famous pilgrimages in India which attracts tourists from around the world. Lack of transportation facilities to reach the Gurudwara has led to a huge demand for helicopter service in Hemkund Sahib. However, resources are limited.
Therefore, Hemkund Sahib helicopter booking should be done at least 2-3 months prior to your travel. One-way Govindghat to Hemkund Sahib by helicopter price is INR 3400 per person. Both way journey would cost INR 6800 per person. This price is applicable for availing helicopter charter services from Govindghat to Ghangaria.
For those who find it difficult to travel by road up to Govindghat which takes almost about 11 hours from Dehradun or Rishikesh, can perform Hemkund Sahib Yatra by Helicopter which has two different tours :
- Hemkund Sahib by Helicopter from Dehradun(Same Day) : In this Yatra, Waytoindia.com takes you by helicopter directly from Dehradun to Ghangaria.At Ghangaria you are provided Pony and porter to visit Hemkund Sahib. After Darshan at Hemkund Sahib, you come by pony back to Ghangaria from where you fly back to Dehradun Helipad the same day.
- Hemkund Sahib by Helicopter from Delhi(4 Nights/5 Days): In this tour, you fly from Delhi to Dehradun where your pick up and stay is arranged by Waytoindia.com. Next day you fly from Dehradun to Ghangaria where you stay overnight to acclimatize with the weather. The third day you are provided Pony and Porter to visit Hemkund Sahib after which you come and stay overnight at Ghangaria. The fourth day you fly from Ghangaria to Dehradun and further to Delhi. This tour is more suited to those who wish to do Hemkund Sahib Yatra in a much more confortable way and at an easy pace.
Both the above tours require minimum 5 pilgrims whose total body weight should not exceed 350 kg. For Hemkund Sahib Yatra by Helicopter price and other details, kindly write a mail on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on +91 888 222 44 22.
Best Time for Hemkund Sahib Yatra
The best time to begin your Hemkund Sahib Yatra 2019 is by the end of May when the winter snow starts to melt and the nature is as its best. Avoid visiting in the months of July and August when heavy monsoon rainfall can cause landslides and helicopter services are affected. If you love winters, you can visit during October when the mountain paths are covered with snow.
Hemkund Sahib Yatra Helicopter Services
You can book helicopter tickets for Hemkund Sahib Yatra from the following service providers:
- Deccan Charters: To book Deccan helicopter Hemkund Sahib tickets, contact 1800-103-1034 or 09412051036.
- Waytoindia.com : For booking all inclusive Hemkund Sahib tour by helicopter, you may contact Waytoindia.com on +918882224422 or by writing a mail on email@example.com.
Valuable Information for Hemkund Sahib Yatra by Helicopter
Here are some important information, rules and regulations to follow on your Hemkund Sahib Yatra by helicopter:
- Typically, the helicopters used for Hemkund Sahib Yatra are Euro Copter B3 or Bell 407. The total passenger capacity is 5 with an average total weight up to 350 kg. The average weight per person should be less than 80 kg. At the time of Hemkund Sahib helicopter booking, please provide all details, including number of persons in the group, their age and body weight.
- People with severe heart ailment or pulmonary disorders should avoid the yatra because they can have health problems in high altitude. Everyone who wishes to undertake this Yatra should consult their doctors before they proceed on this Yatra.
- Only one small bag per person is allowed on Hemkund Sahib helicopter ride. Since it is always cold here, you must carry ample warm clothing. In addition to this, you should carry a raincoat, towel and waterproof jacket. You should also wear waterproof boots to keep away the chill and snow. You must carry a torch with extra cell and first-aid kit for emergency purposes.
- Make sure you carry enough cash with you because there is a lack of ATM facility. There is only one ATM machine at Govind Ghat, and mostly, it is out of service. There are no ATM facilities at Ghangaria and Gurudwara Hemkund Sahib India.
- Expect to have vegetarian food on your tour along with dry fruits, canned juices, milk, cereals, fresh fruits, etc.
- Ghangaria to Hemkund Sahib and return trip is operated on same day by Pony and Porters.
- Children above 2 years of age will be considered full ticket for helicopter ride. There is no special concession for children and senior citizens.
- All passengers should carry their Identity Proof when availing Hemkund Sahib helicopter service.
Tourist Attractions Near Hemkund Sahib
There are several tourist spots near Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara. These are generally not included in Hemkund Sahib Yatra package, but tours can be customised to offer a more delightful travel experience. Make sure your Hemkund Sahib Yatra by helicopter also includes these following tourist attractions at the time of booking.
- Badrinath Temple: One of the famous Char Dham temples, Badrinath, is located at a distance of 42 km from Gurudwara Hemkund Sahib. The temple holds huge significance to Hindu religion and is worth visiting if you have time.
- Joshimath: Located 36 km from the famous Sikh Gurudwara, Joshimath is a picturesque hill station in Chamoli and reckoned as the Gateway to Badrinath and Auli.
- Auli: For an enthralling experience, visit Auli, a popular Himalayan ski resort and hill station in Uttarakhand. It is nestled beautifully amid Nar Parvat and Nanda Devi mountains, offering spectacular scenic beauty. Take a breathtaking cable car ride from Auli to Joshimath. The stunning beauty of Auli can also be witnessed on your way from Delhi to Hemkund Sahib by helicopter.
- Valley of Flowers National Park: This is another must-visit place near Hemkund Sahib. The Valley of Flower is bestowed with exotic Himalayan flora, beautifully snuggled in the western Himalayan ranges of Uttarakhand. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, featuring beguiling view of lush meadows, colourful alpine flowers and fauna.
If you are travelling in a group, the above tourist spots can be included in your Hemkund Sahib helicopter tour for a memorable experience.
Recommended Hotel For Hemkund Sahib Yatra
Top Hotels in Delhi – Some of the best places to stay in Delhi are:
- The Taj Mahal Hotel – 1, Man Singh Rd, South Block, Man Singh Road Area, New Delhi, Delhi 110001; Phone: 011 6656 6162
- The Leela Palace – Africa Ave, Diplomatic Enclave, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, Delhi 110023; Phone: 011 3933 1234
- The Oberoi – Dr Zakir Hussain Marg, Delhi Golf Club, Golf Links, New Delhi, Delhi 110003; Phone: 011 2436 3030
- The LaLit – Barakhamba Avenue Connaught Place New Delhi-110001; Phone: 011 4444 7777
- The Grand – Nelson Mandela, Road, Vasant Kunj II, New Delhi, Delhi 110070; Phone: 011 4766 1200
Top Hotels in Dehradun – The best hotels in Dehradun are:
- Lemon Tree Hotel – Ground Floor Pacific Mall Rajpur Road Near Bajaj Institute of Learning, Jakhan, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248006; Phone: 0135 273 7777
- Four Points by Sheraton – 152, 4, Rajpur Rd, Jakhan, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001; Phone: 0135 660 3300
- Seyfert Sarovar Premiere – 270 Haridwar Bypass Road Near, ISBT, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001; Phone: 0135 667 8999
- Hotel Madhuban – 97, Rajpur Rd, Hathibarkala Salwala, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001; Phone: 0135 274 9994
Ghangaria Hotels – Some of the nice hotels to stay in Ghangaria are:
- Blue Poppy Swiss Cottage – Helipad Ground, Ghangaria, Uttarakhand 246443; Phone: 099911 42759
- Hotel Nanda Lokpal, Hemkund Sahib Rd Ghangaria Chamoli Uttarakhand 246443, Phone : 094120 54570
- Hotel Kuber Annex, Hemkund Sahib Rd, Ghangaria, Uttarakhand 246443, Phone : 096270 06010
- GMVNL Guest House, Hemkund Sahib Rd, Ghangaria, Uttarakhand 246443, Phone :095680 06662
Other than Hemkund Sahib yatra, Waytoindia.com also organises Badrinath Yatra by Helicopter and other Hindu and Sikh pilgrimages in India for which one can send an enquiry on firstname.lastname@example.org.