When you decide to holiday grooving to the music, India turns into an exemplary host of grand music carnivals. Venues with outstanding backdrops, ranging from beaches, hills and sand dunes to the architectural wonders, are handpicked and music is dramatically mixed with adventure, games, food and art to deliver extravagant fun and thrill.
No wonder that many of these music festivals in India have now become a part and parcel of the countryâ€™s growing tourism industry. Plan your next holiday to be a spectator of the popular music festivals in India and here are some great options to consider.
Enchanted Valley Carnival – EVC (June)
Lush green ambience of Western Ghats booms with the craziness of techno, bass, drum, house and trance with the arrival of this scintillating 3 day musical bonanza. Only 2 editions old, it is among the most awaited music festivals in India in December 2015 as well. An award-winning spectacle, it brings the funkiest DJs live at one place.
- Venue: Aamby Valley near Lonavala (a popular weekend getaway connected to Mumbai and Pune).
- Highlights: Hot balloon rides, outdoor camping, rock climbing, water sports, flea markets and much more.
NH7 Weekender (October)
Itâ€™s approaching fast and roaring. Tagged as the most well-organized music festival from India, NH7 Weekender turned 5 in 2014 and is ready to go bigger this year. While the earlier editions entertained patrons at Delhi, Bangalore, Pune and Kolkata, 2015 would add Shillong as the new destination. Get ready to tap to the magnetic indie music tunes.
- Venue: Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Kolkata and Shillong (each a well-connected tourist destination).
- Highlights: International performances, shuttle transport, cool souvenirs and merchandise to take back home and great food and drinks.
Ziro Festival of Music (September)
If you have 3-4 days free in the upcoming September, devote them towards the most happening of the music festivals in North East India. Held amidst the sprawling paddy fields and mist-laden peaks all around, the festival features more than 30 top indie music bands and some amazing folk performances of the region.
- Venue: Ziro Town, about 115 km. from Itanagar, the state capital of Arunchal Pradesh.
- Highlights: Lush green pastures, rich flora and fauna and absorbing tribal culture worth exploring along with attending the festival. Outdoor camping possible.
Adding to Goaâ€™s reputation as the ideal gateway to get immersed in the electrifying mix of sun, sand and sea, Sunburn is among the best music festivals in India (and has also earned the position among the worldâ€™s top 10). The 9th edition this year promises celebrated DJs and the inimitable electronic music bonanza to Indiaâ€™s party capital.
- Venue: Vagator, among the liveliest Goa beaches, known for red hills and marvellous sunsets.
- Highlights: Multiple stages, flea markets and additional entertainment performances. Not to forget the never-ending fun of being at Goa beaches, splurging on delicious seafood, participating in beach adventures and exploring rich heritage.
Mahindra Blues (February)
Since its inaugural instalment of 2011, the festival has registered huge attendance every year. Why? It is one platform to watch the galaxy of Blues legends from all over the world. In the company of Buddy Guy and many more, you are sure to lose connection with the outside world.
- Venue: Mehboob Studio in Mumbai, the biggest Indian metropolitan and an entertaining tourist destination.
- Highlights: Opportunity to spend a memorable vacation at Mumbai, known for its Bollywood industry, beaches, colonial heritage and museums. Not to forget the delicious street food, something which is just not worth missing.
Once you enjoy your first rendezvous with the music and dance festivals in India, you will surely ask for more. The good news is that there is no break to art and music festivals in India. Only you should have the enthusiasm to attend the most amazing ones.