Badrinath Kedarnath Yatra , also famously known as the Do Dham Yatra refers to the spiritual journey to the famous Hindu Temples of Shri Kedarnath and Shri Badrinath in Uttarakhand state of India. Each year lacks of devotees visit these pious pilgrimage destinations in the months of May to October.
Badrinath Kedarnath Yatra
About Kedarnath Temple
One amongst the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva, Kedarnath Shrine is located in the Kedar Khand of Garhwal Himalayas.It lies in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand.It is also one amongst the Panch Kedar Temples of Garhwal Himalayas.(5 temples of Shiva – Kedarnath, Tungnath, Rudranath , Madhyamaheshwar, Kalpeshwar).
Mythologically , when the Pandavas of Mahabharata fame had killed their own kith and kin , they went for a pilgrimage in Himalayas to absolve themselves of their sins .They saw Lord Shiva from a distance who hid himself from the Pandavas at a place which is today famous as Guptkashi .They started looking for Lord Shiva who transformed himself into a bull. When Bheem tried to follow the bull who seemed unique, the bull (who was Shiva) tried to hid himself into the earth.The face of the bull appeared in Nepal where Pashupatinath Temple is located.The hind part of the bull transformed into a Shiva linga.It is then that at this place lord Shiva appeared before the Pandavas and absolved them of all their sins.The temple is believed to be more than 1000 years old.The Shiva Linga at Kedarnath is pyramidal in shape.
About Badrinath Temple
Dedicated to Lord Vishnu , the preserver among the holy trinity of the Hindu pantheon, Badrinath Temple is the most pious temples of Hindus across the globe. The temple at Badrinath is open for the devotees for six months in a year and remains closed for the rest of the six months sue to snow.The idol of Lord Vishnu , who is worshiped in Badrinath in the form of Badrivishal is made of Shaligram and is considered to be a self-manifested idols of Lord Vishnu .
Historically, the temple was established by Adi Shankara in 9th Century AD, although it finds mention in the ancient texts such as Skanda Purana and Vishnu Purana.
The temple is today presided by a Nambudiri Brahmin from Kerala, who is also called as Rawal.
Most people do not know that Badrinath is also famous for Ashtapad Tirth , a pilgrimage for the Jains which also remains open from Akshaya Tritiya (May) to Sharad Poornima(October).
Suggested Badrinath Kedarnath Yatra Itinerary
The shrines of Badrinath Kedarnath are located in the high altitude area and thus one needs to follow a proper itinerary to visit these shrines.Ideally one needs at least 6 days to complete Do Dham Yatra to Kedarnath and Badrinath from Haridwar.
Please go through the itinerary suggested by Waytoindia for those who are planning to go on Do Dham Yatra from Delhi or Do Dham Yatra from Haridwar.
Day 1 : Delhi to Haridwar or Rishikesh .Overnight stay at Hotel in Haridwar or Rishikesh.
(Delhi to Haridwar distance : approx. 210 Kms/ 5 hours)
Day 2 : Haridwar to Guptkashi .Overnight stay at Guptkashi.
(Haridwar to Guptkashi distance: approx. 215 Kms/8 hours)
Day 3 : Return flight from Guptkashi to Kedarnath by helicopter from Phata.Overnight stay at Guptkashi .
Day 4 : Guptkashi to Badrinath.Overnight stay at Badrinath.
( Guptkashi to Badrinath distance : 200 Kms / 9 hours )
Day 5 : Visit to Badrinath Temple.Visit Mana Village, the last Indian village on India and China border.Overnight stay at Badrinath.
Day 6 : Badrinath to Rudraprayag.Overnight stay at Rudraprayag.
( Badrinath to Rudraprayag road distance : approx. 158 Kms / 7 hours )
Suggested Luxury Accommodation During Badrinath Kedarnath Yatra
For those who wish to stay in luxury accommodation , the following are some of the best places to stay at each of the destinations :
- Haridwar : Haveli Hari Ganga, Sarovar Ambrosio.
- Rishikesh : Aloha on Ganges, Atali Ganga.
- Guptkashi : Chardham Camps, Camp Nirvana, Himalayan Confort
- Badrinath : Sarovar Portico Badrinath, Narayan Palace, New Snow Crest.
- Rudraprayag : Monal Resort.
Opening Dates Of Kedarnath Temple 2016
The opening dates of Shri Kedarnath Temple have been announced by the priests of Ukhimath Temple.Kedarnath temple will open on 10th May 2016.
Opening Dates Of Badrinath Temple 2016
The opening dates of Shri Badrinath Temple have been announced.The temple will open for the Yatra on 11th May 2016.
Online Pooja Booking At Badrinath or Kedarnath Shrine
Shri Badrinath – Shri Kedarnath Temples committee had earlier started the online booking of Puja from their website http://www.badarikedar.org/ . However, due to some technical reasons , this service has been presently disabled.
Pooja Rates & Pooja Timings at Badrinath Temple
To download information about Badrinath Pooja rates and Badrinath Pooja timings kindly click here
Pooja Rates & Pooja Timings at Kedarnath Temple
To download information about Kedarnath Pooja rates sand Kedarnath Pooja timings kindly click here
Important Travel Tips For First Time Travellers To Badrinath Kedarnath Yatra
- Always set out early in the morning for your next destination.This is a golden rule to be followed by everyone who wishes to have a hassle free journey in mountains.This is because, generally the weather starts becoming inclement as the day progresses.Moreover, driving in the hills after sunset is not advisable.
- The weather is most unpredictable in hills.Thus, everyone should carry plenty of warm clothes and waterproof raincoats with them.
- Badrinath Kedarnath Yatra takes place in high altitude areas.In these areas oxygen is less and thus those with any respiratory ailments are advised to seek permission of a medical practitioner before taking up this journey.
- It takes about 8 hours to drive from Haridwar to Guptkashi.Thus, those who are coming to Haridwar from rest of the country are advised to stay overnight at Haridwar before proceeding with their drive to Guptkashi.
- Few other things we advice that you may carry include monkey cap, torch, medicines for general ailments like fever and headache , Camphor , portable oxygen cylinder , extra pairs of woolen socks and gloves .
Waytoindia.com organises Badrinath Kedarnath Yatra by luxury Isuzu buses with washroom, by Innova cars and by Tempo Travellers each year. You may also send an enquiry on the link http://triptochardham.com/badrinath-kedarnath-yatra-by-luxury-bus.html