Blazing sun, scorching heat, mercury soaring high; summer is knocking the door! However, it is also the holiday season, calling for fun-filled vacations. During summer, South India is hot and humid, and most travelers stay away from visiting this region. However, unlike what people think, there are some exotic tourist destinations in South India, which are beautiful, cool, and pleasant. Listed here are the top 7 coldest places in South India that are worth visiting during summer.
Top 7 Coldest Places In South India
- Lakkidi, KeralaThe gateway to Wayanad District of Kerala, Lakkidi is located 700 m. above sea level, atop the beautiful Thamarassery Ghat Pass. The quaint hill station receives second highest degree of rainfall in the world, thereby, experiencing mist and fog, and chilly climate throughout the year. Lakkidi enjoys Kopen Highland climate, and is said to be one of the South India’s coldest places. Breathtaking mountain peaks, luxuriant vegetation, gurgling stream, picturesque view of the deep valley, and meandering roads make Lakkidi a popular summer destination in South India. It also boasts one of the richest biodiversity in the Western Ghats, where you get up, close and personal with rare species of birds, lion tailed macaque, Indian shag, Little Green Heron, Little Cormorant, and Pond Heron.
Best time to visit: October to January
How to reach: The town lies on Thamarassery – Lakkidi Ghat Road, a part of NH 212, which is well-connected via state buses and private transportation from Kozhikode and major cities of Kerala. The nearest train station is Kozhikode (Calicut), situated as a distance of 39 km. from Lakkidi.
Places to Visit: Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, Palappuram, Chain Tree, Pookot Lake, and Shoranur.
- Lambasingi, Andhra PradeshNestled at an altitude of 2600 feet above sea level, the tiny hamlet – Lambasingi – is one of the coolest places in South India. A land once anonymous and undiscovered, Lambasingi earned the sobriquet of “Andhra Kashmir,” with night temperatures often falling to sub-zero level. Of late, it became a popular tourist destination and an exotic summer retreat. Picturesque beauty, dense foliage, chilled weather and mist makes the places even more mysterious and amazing.
Best time to visit: December to January
How to reach: The nearest airport is Vishakhapatnam Airport, 107 km. from Lambasingi. State and private buses and taxis are available to reach Lambasingi from Vizag. It is well-connected via NH 5. The nearest railway station is Chintapalle, situated 19 km. from the town.
Places to Visit: Sprawling pepper and coffee plantations, Hope Island, Bojjannakonda, Simachalam, Uppada Beach and Araku Valley.
- Horsely Hills, Andhra PradeshThe charming hill station of Andhra Pradesh is one of the best summer destinations in South India. Located 144 km. from Tirupati, the pretty hamlet enjoys pristine beauty, cool weather, and gentle breeze all through the year. Beat the heat of summer months visiting this picturesque hill station, which is rich in bio-diversity. From exotic flora like Eucalyptus, Reetha, Gulmohar, Mahogany, and Sandalwood to adventurous wildlife such as wild dogs, bears, sambars, jungle fowl, panthers, porcupine, and four horned antelope, Horsely Hills is a place worth visiting during summer.
Best time to visit: Anytime of the year
How to reach: The nearest airports are Tirupati (160 km.) and Bangalore (165 km.), well-connected via bus and taxi. Madanapalle Road is the nearest railhead, which is approximately 56 km from Horsely Hills.
Places to Visit: Kaundiya Wilde Life Sanctuary and Mallamma Temple.
- Araku Valley, Andhra PradeshFamous for its amazing trekking terrain, pleasant climate all through the year, blossoming orchards, sprawling coffee plantations, and ancient caves, Araku Valley is one of the best places to visit during summer in South India.
Best time to visit: All throughout the year
How to reach: The nearest airport is Vishakhapatnam, around 110 km. from Araku Valley. It has its own railway station, connecting to major cities in Andhra Pradesh and South India. Regular private car and bus services are also available from Vizag to Araku Valley. The state government also provides daily tour packages to Araku and back from Vizag.
Places to Visit: Borra Caves, Araku Tribal Museum, Tyda, Paderu, Sangda Waterfalls, Padmapuram Botanical Garden, and Matsyagundam.
- Kodaikanal, Tamil NaduExperience nature at its best in Kodaikanal! Featuring unspoiled natural beauty, cascading waterfalls, glimmering lake and cool weather, it is one of the best places to visit during summer. Pleasant weather and cool breeze can be experienced all through the year, with enchanting view points and breathtaking backdrop of lofty mountains, which makes Kodaikanal worth visiting.
Best time to visit: April to June or November to February. Evenings can be cold, so don’t forget to carry light woolens.
How to reach: The nearest airport is Madurai (120 km.). Buses are available from the airport to Kodaikanal. Kodai Road is the nearest rail head, 100 km. from the main town. Only taxis are available from the railway station to Kodaikanal town.
Places to Visit: Kodai Lake, Bryant Park, Coaker’s Walk, Silver Cascade Waterfalls, Kodaikanal Observatory, and Berijam Lake.
You may book your Kodaikanal Holidays with Waytoindia.com and avail best rates on your tour to this paradise of South India.
- Coorg, KarnatakaPicturesque beauty, tranquility, intoxicating aroma of coffee plantations, rich flora and fauna, and of course, salubrious weather makes Coorg one of the top coldest places in South India. A perfect blend of beauty and serenity, Coorg is often referred to as the Scotland of the South. Gentle breeze, chilled mornings, and mist make the place even more enchanting.
Best time to visit: The weather is cool and pleasant throughout the year, though October to March is ideal for adventure activities, while March and April is most favored to experience the beautiful valley adorned in white flowers.
How to reach: Nearest airports are Mangalore International Airport (160 km.) and Bengaluru (265 km.). The nearest railway station is Mysore, about 95 km. from Coorg. State buses are available daily from Bengaluru, Mangalore and Mysore.
Places to Visit: Abbi Falls, Raja’s Seat, Omkareshwara Temple, Barapole River, Talacauvery and Bhagamandala, and Dubare Reserve Forest and Elephant Camp.
- Ananthagiri Hills, Andhra PradeshCocooned amid the lofty hills of Andhra Pradesh, Ananthagiri is blessed with spectacular beauty, rolling hills of the Eastern Ghats, and splendid weather. It is one of the top coolest places in South India and a favorite summer holiday destination. Gorgeous waterfalls, dense woodlands, blossoming orchards, stretches of coffee plantations and rich flora await you in Ananthagiri Hills. The summers are cool, rains draw a magical picture, winters are serene with blue skies and springs see breathtaking landscape with a myriad of colors.
Best time to visit: All through the year
How to reach: Srikakulam is the nearest railway station to Ananthagiri Hills, located just 3 km. away. Taxis are available from the railway station. On the other hand, there are regular buses from Vizag and Hyderabad to Ananthagiri.
Places to Visit: Sri Anantha Padmanabha Temple, Musi River, Padmapuram Garden, Katki Waterfalls, The Borra Hills and Caves, Bhavanasi Lake, Nagasamudram Lake, and sprawling coffee plantations of Ananthagiri.
Are you planning your holiday in South India? Read our blog on honeymoon places in South India to read about 15 such romantic places that are just the perfect places to spend quality time with your life partner.